Friday, May 4, 2007

Mini-epiphany 521

After a hard couple of weeks and a disappointing couple of days, with rain on the way, driving a heavy van full of the strong smell of ten bags of hardwood bark mulch, feeling hopelessly behind on chores at home and on the job, with my artwork seemingly stalled again, I was looking into a watery sunset sky when I felt my clenched insides let go and I was consumed by a deep rolling belly-laugh. My two teens, one coming home from dance, the other having helped me load the cargo, looked at me with indulgent grins. They don't usually bother to look at me like I'm crazy; that's old news.

"I'm absurdly happy," I said. "Even in the midst of all the things piled on me I realized that I was thoroughly enjoying this moment and I felt really happy." I put my head back and laughed again.

I guess I could do that at any time. And actually, I am doing it more often.

The real secret is...

Eddie Valiant: You mean you could've taken your hand out of that cuff at any time?

Roger Rabbit
: No, not at any time, only when it was funny.

No comments: