Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Green Hound

Perhaps a color sweet tooth is not the best judge of color during the darkest days of the winter. Sometimes when I paint in December I feel like someone who would put a pound of butter on their mashed potatoes. Yellow and Orange are my particular favorites this season (orange always is - and French Ultramarine).

This painting is about green. And frolic. And sun. And really really green.

Too green? Part of me thinks so, and the rest of me grins crookedly and won't paint over the green. I also like the freshness of this, and I would hate to spoil it.

But what do you think? I might still tinker with it. Watercolor on Arches hot press - 19 x 19 inches. Click the image for a slightly larger view.

It was good to visit this place, regardless of how the painting is or isn't. I felt high up, bathed in sun, and hearing the sea. I got to be there for four or five hours this weekend and Monday evening. I could hear the quiet sounds of the stupid sheep. This time I invited them - I needed them for scale and composition.

5 comments:

Life As I Know It Now said...

Green is one of my favorite colors!

Unknown said...

Your dog is so carried away and carefree. Really made me smile.

Odd Chick said...

I think he looks like he's having a great life and that he wouldn't change a thing!

L'Adelaide said...

he's having so much fun ... i wouldn't change him at all and i really smiled at your sheep on the hillside...don't they always sneak in? i think it's because they provide a counterpoint and can be all shades--even pink!-- but look interesting [tho they are soooo dumb] most any old place... the only thing i would change is to make his ball a bit more color-full........maybe ;)

thank you for your comment on my quail, it's good to have your input on my work and i enjoyed reading your thoughts and your appreciation even more...i hope to be painting more now as the spirit moves... so we'll see where quail goes, i am having some fun with his topknot! *grins*

susan said...

This painting reminds me of a memorable dream where I was walking along a cliff-side path above the sea when suddenly my dog (beautiful black and white Garth) came bounding over the rise to my left and leaped straight over the cliff. I was both frightened and elated at his trust and understanding of the greater reality.

Naturally, I like the painting. I hope the new year finds you painting more pictures that express you unique and lovely visions.