Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tomato Feast

A feast for the eyes, then a terrific tomato sandwich for lunch. With salt and pepper and mayo - and salt and pepper potato chips and calabrese olives, and apple and artisanal cheese from Hillsborough's farmer's market, AND with good company and interesting bookish conversation, it's no wonder lunch lasts so long on weekends.

This tomato was my reward for driving past the big mega-station just off the exit ramp on I-40 before it enters the mountain pass from TN to NC. I aimed for the little station a half a mile further on, and was met by pumps from another decade, local people, real greetings, folks singing with the song on the radio, and a produce stand with many varieties of tomato, including this heirloom. I bought two, but the other didn't last 30 minutes after I got home.

The photo was taken by our oldest son - I found it on the camera and was so glad to see it.

No comments: