Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cat Nap

This piece is a gift to a very young lover of lions and tigers (click image for larger version). I call it Cat Nap, but he'll probably call it something else. While reading this post I had a sudden desire to do this piece, which led to several other attempts and a lot of other concentration on tigers. What gorgeous animals they are (the real ones, I mean). I had known that, but not like I do now, after a few weeks of drawing and painting them.

My thanks to Pip for his fascination and joyful love of these big cats. And for talking to them on the phone.

"Hello? Hello? Lion. Roar. Tiger. Roar."

9 x 12 - ink and watercolor. It will be matted 11 x 14 so it can go in a simple stock frame. It can be delivered via choir member post.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This is very dear. The little tyke should be very pleased to make up stories about these two!

L'Adelaide said...

gina said it for me, my grandkids would adore this and lots of other animals just like it...you did an amazing job with their paws, i thought and the ink is so realistic---those eyes, especially the tiger, i love him! and little stars, just adorable ;)

Phoenix Berries said...

Steve, this is so generous and beautiful! Thank you! We showed it to Pip just before plonking him in the tub a few minutes ago. His first response: "Lion! Tiger. Night-night. hushhhhhh." The last word was whispered.

Steve Emery said...

Pagan and Linda - thank you both so much.

Phoenix Berries - I am so glad he liked it, and thanks for sharing the response. I loved that!

Genie Sea said...

Steve! How absolutely, charmingly wonderful your tigers are. I sighed when my eyes alit on them. :)

giggles said...

These cats are beautiful!

susan said...

I remember reading that a young admirer of Maurice Sendak wrote him a letter after 'Where The Wild Things Are' was published and Sendak was so touched he sent the child a drawing. Several weeks later a letter arrived from the child's mother who wrote, 'Jimmy liked your picture so much he ate it'. That was one of the artist's favorite memories. Children can inspire us to go beyond our usual skills and in doing so teach us what we didn't know we needed. This is a very charming painting.

Campbell Jane said...

Completely sweet & adorable! Makes you want to snuggle into a soft warm blankie!

lisahgolden said...

What a wonderful painting. And as I read this, I was hoping that Pip would be the recipient!