Friday, December 14, 2007

Moosewood

I have been fascinated with striped maple, also called moosewood, since I first saw it and identified it in New York as a kid. In the mountains of North Carolina I watch for them in the fall, because the large leaves turn a striking clear yellow. The few blemishes are almost always the vivid green of summer, and the contrast of the green and yellow, and of the light leaves with their darker surroundings in the understory shade, always make me giddy. I want to keep the leaves forever, and use them to power my heart.

This 19 inch square painting, entitled Moosewood, was done in a two day burst of energy, probably only five or six hours of time, and I'm pleased with the more spontaneous feel, with the way the leaves turned out, with the colors, and with the mooseness. I carried it around in my heart and head for a few days before I had a chance to paint it. Click on the image for a larger view.

Again, as with Solar Power, this painting is a step on a long road to free my inner artist and my inner child. I've hung this in my office at work, right next to Cats and Koi.

No comments: