Sunday, August 24, 2008

Chapel Hill Graze - Art on Campus

During my day long graze around Chapel Hill, I wandered campus. I particularly spent time at the Ackland Art Museum (more in another post) and around Haines, the art building. Outside Haines are various student and faculty artworks. This one was new. A greenhouse with some odd plants inside.

On closer inspection the plants turn out to be in artificial pots, and made of bronze. Tomato plants that never need water, and don't need the protection of the greenhouse. It's an odd inside/outside play that brought a grin to my face. The greenhouse doesn't have an entrance - another weird thing you notice, thinking about taking care of plants that would outlast all of us without care of any kind.

Then I looked even more closely, because those tomatoes didn't look quite right. Wait - what was the title of this work? Killer Tomatos. Suddenly the lack of a door on the greenhouse seems like a really good idea...

>>>> Appendix de Grenouille #29 <<<<
Here I am with mon ami Professeur Vergrenouille, the famous paleontologiste. We are day dreaming pleasantly about life millions of years ago, when this fossil still flew and when our cousin Eryops ruled the swamp. It was a different experience gastronomique. Eating a creature like this one must have been like catching a biplane in your teeth, complete with mechanical crunch and screech and the smell of petrol, yet to be created by the decay of those same ancestors. We live in reduced times, a petite epoquette.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those killer tomatoes are hilarious! Makes you wonder who dreamed up the idea to capture them in bronze!

Randal Graves said...

The teeth remind me a bit of Giger's work for Alien.

Unknown said...

Yes, Alien came to my mind as well.
Ha!

Steve Emery said...

DCup - I was wondering the same thing, after I closed my open mouth and stopped my nervous laughter. They're hilarious AND creepy - you don't realize there's anything sinister going on until you're right up close. How did someone think of these??? Brilliant.

Randal and Pagan - I only know a little about Giger, and that from only this last week (as usual, when it rains it pours). I saw a print a week ago with a castle that seems to have a zipper incorporated inside the battlements... All sorts of innuendo came to mind, and the execution was flawless. Gotta go look for more...