Monday, May 19, 2008

I-77 SC Welcome Center Cats

I've been driving up and down I-77 from Charlotte to Columbia for more trips than I care to count. One pleasure of this, though, is stopping at the SC Welcome Center between 8:00 AM and 9:00 AM. If I get there early enough it will be just before Miss Kitty's breakfast, and she will be unusually friendly.

She and her snaggle-toothed son (alas, missing for several years now - his teeth stuck out every which way even with his mouth closed) are black and built like bricks, with thick, short fur that feels like a rug. They have sweet dispositions and let everyone pet them, which I find amazing, considering how skittish most cats are around strangers.

The Welcome Center staff paid to have these cats fixed, and provide a little house and food for Miss Kitty. There used to be two dishes outside this house. No one knows what happened to her son.

No comments: