Sunday, May 22, 2011

Antique Auto Museum in Asheville

This is a 1940 Packard I sketched sitting cross-legged on beautiful wide heartpine floorboards. The small museum is part of the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC. I had about 20 minutes, and an 8 x 10 inch sketch pad and a pencil. I love these old autos from the 40's, with their big fenders and tall grills.

This one is black, with shiny chrome on the bumper, grill, vents, and headlight trim, and whitewall tires. A very classy beast. Click the image for a closer look.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, excellent! It would be fun to have a ride in one, black as you described it, with my hair tied in scarf, its ends blowing out the open window in the wind! :-)

susan said...

Very nicely captured. I love old cars that were largely made by hand and with care. Your drawing does its elegance great justice.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done, Steve. I like the perspective, something I've worked on a bit in my photographs of old farm trucks. And your "crop job" works really well, which encourages me to be bolder in selecting my views in the future!