Here are three progressions, showing the changes made in this morning's painting session. All of these read from top to bottom, with the earlier versions on top. Click any of them to view them larger. The top image is where they started at 9:00 this morning.
The first is a small one, about 7 by 10. I have no idea where it's going, but I am laying on color.
The next (four shots) is one that I am using to build up the surface with watercolor, going for an effect like Emil Nolde achieved by putting more and more color on, always managing to avoid muddying the colors, and achieving a surface of rich depth and transparency. I'm seeing what happens.
And the last one is the latest version of Flight. I put the one from my last post on top, and today's results below it. MLight mentioned not liking the way the trees progressed upward, with confusing breaks in them, so they look like those optical illusions that split vertical bars from the bottom to the top... The more I looked at this, the more I didn't like the strangest of these, either, so I painted it out (acrylics) and fixed the trunk all the way up. It helps the entire composition, I think.
I also made the smallest bird dark, instead of light. the rest are minor adjustments here and there to improve shadow continuity, b;end the beams of light better, add visual interest, and create a series of rose elements from the cat up and to the right all the way to the top corner, to help unite that side with the rest of the painting. You can't see it in this photo, much, but the big crow in the bottom right is not more aqua than ultramarine.
I won't be on-line much the next four days - big set of meetings at work, with evening sessions, etc. - so little or no time for anything but work, eat, and sleep... See you Friday, maybe.