OK - here it as as I left it last night. First Youngest told me the lines had to go (he was right). That was work I did yesterday before this photo was taken and posted.
Then Linda suggested that the top wasn't done yet (and I knew that, though I didn't want to think about it yesterday). So I worked up the top quite a bit tonight, and liked it better.
Then I showed it to Dearest and she said that the top and the bottom looked like different paintings. The foxes were more hard edged, and painted in a different manner than the top. And I knew that, too, but was even more resistant to thinking about that, because I had liked how the foxes turned out and I didn't want to mess with them. But it was the usual - they were "precious" and still too outlined. I realized that I really had nothing to lose - they didn't work as they were. So I was at peace about changing them, and knew what to do and thought I could manage it without damaging them.
So here they are repainted somewhat, and blended into the painting. Now they're in the wood, instead of on it. And I like the light on them better in this version. As usual, though, the camera is losing the beautiful rose colors, leaning towards a hotter red and emphasizing the orange. This painting is actually more balanced over the three secondary colors, and a rosy pink, pale blues, and some yellow for emphasis and light. So it's a sort of homage to how I used to feel about the basic Crayola box of eight. The six colors were all equally favorites, and I felt sorry for brown and black.
Maybe you can't see much difference between these two in the photos - and then again, maybe you can... I thought the differences might be interesting to some of you. Click on them to see larger versions.
Thanks to everyone who made the concrete and constructive suggestions, especially Dearest, who made hers after she was pretty much done talking for the day.